2022 MARKET SALE
THURSDAY, JULY 21, 2022
- Any animal bought at the Washington County Ag Expo & Fair Youth Market Animal Sale comes highly recommended. Not only is every lamb, goat, steer, rabbit, and hog well–fed and raised by local 4–H and FFA members, it must also meet strict weight and health standards. In a word, it is prime.
- So for your company, this sale is an opportunity to buy choice meat for your annual employee picnic or to give as food for a local charity orto donate back to be sold to benefit 4–H & FFA programs. (Each are done by many local businesses and individuals every year.)
- The annual sale is held on the grounds of the Washington County Agricultural Education Center, seven miles south of Hagerstown on the Sharpsburg Pike. The event attracts more than 250 bidders and spectators drawn by the sights and sounds of Ag Expo & Fair.
- This year’s sale will be held on Thursday, July 21. The sale, which begins at 5:30p.m. and usually lasts several hours, is held under an open pavilion. Bidders can register as early as 5p.m. and pick up an official list of all the animals qualifying to be sold, their weights, and the names of their owners.
- In all, more than 200 animals will likely be sold. This year’s order of sale is: rabbits, beef steers, meat goats, lambs, dairy steers, swine, and dairy goats.
- Nervous about bidding? Let them know at the registration table which animal you’re interested in and a market sale official will be happy to help you. Ag Expo Champions and Reserve Champions always sell for more.
- A group of friends or co–workers can pool their resources to buy an entire animal and have plenty of meat in the freezer all year long.
- Instead of purchasing an animal you can simply add money to the purchase of a youths animal either as a whole dollar amount or an additional amount per pound. For example, adding a flat $50 to a youths purchase price or adding an additional $0.25/lb. to an animal.
- DONATE IT BACK. You can donate the animal to be resold later to benefit the Market Sale Committee Scholarship, a 4–H club or a FFA Chapter. The price you pay goes to the youth who raised the animal. AND, your entire cost is deductible as a charitable contribution.
- RESALE. You can arrange to have the animal resold at Four States Livestock Auction in Hagerstown. That way you get back the market price, less a commission, and the difference between market price and what you paid at the sale is your donation AND it is tax deductible.
- KEEP. You can keep the animal and have it processed to fill your freezer or for your company picnic. AND your cost over and above the current market price is deductible as a charitable contribution. You can also donate the animal as food for a local children’s home, food bank or other charity. In that case, your entire cost is tax deductible. Consult your tax advisor for your company’s tax liability.
- Call a processor from the list below early to arrange processing—appointments are extremely limited.
- Hauling is provided free of charge to the following processors:
- Burgers: 301–573–1945
- Country Foods: 717–762–8406
- Holsinger’s Meat Market: 301–733–9263
- Three Springs Meat: 301–432–8632
- Horst Meats (all slots filled)
WHAT TO EXPECT
OKAY! I’M IN! NOW WHAT?
1) COME JULY 21 AND GET A BUYER NUMBER!
- Sign in at the registration trailer. Get a numbered card for each “name” – individual, business, or group – under which you plan to purchase.
2) PLACE YOUR BID!
- If you are the winner, show your card(s) to the ring person and your name or business will be announced to the crowd.
3) SOLD! – DONATING IT BACK IF YOU CHOSE.
- Please tell the ring person right away if you are donating the animal and to what organization it is to benefit when the animals is sold at Four States Livestock Auction. Your gift will be announced to the crowd.
- Walk over to the photo area to have your picture taken with the youth, the animal, and the Ag Expo & Fair Queen. You’ll get a complimentary copy later.
- Let the registration trailer know the animal is going to Four States Livestock Auction when you settle.
SOLD! – FOOD FOR YOU OR YOUR COMPANY!
- Head over to the photo area to get your picture taken.
- Tell the registration trailer which of the local meat processors you want. Charges vary. Haulers will be at Ag Expo to transport animals to their appropriate destination. It will be processed according to your directions and the processor will contact you when the meat is ready to be picked up.
4) SETTLE YOUR BILL
- You can settle your bill at the registration trailer throughout any part of the sale. Acceptable methods of payment include: cash, check (with valid drivers license), and credit or debit card.
IT’S ONE OF THE BEST INVESTMENTS YOU CAN MAKE!
THANK YOU TO ALL OUR BIDDERS.
Whether yours is a winning bid or not, your participation is needed and very much appreciated